Dear Elementary Teachers and Principals,
The Rankin County School District is excited to announce that this year we will be hosting a writing competition for all students in grades K-12. Students will be asked to submit pieces of writing in up to three categories. Here is a guideline for collecting and submitting student work:
- Share information with teachers and students about the competition.
- Students will submit pieces of work in the following writing categories:
● Fictional Short Story
● Personal Narrative
- Each elementary school will choose and submit ONE winner in the following categories. One winner will be selected per category and grade band.
● K-1 Fictional Short Story
● K-1 Personal Narrative
● K-1 Argument
● 2-3 Fictional Short Story
● 2-3 Personal Narrative
● 2-3 Argument
● 4-5 Fictional Short Story
● 4-5 Personal Narrative
● 4-5 Argument
● 6 Fictional Short Story
● 6 Personal Narrative
● 6 Argument
- Please choose a contact person for your school to submit the final pieces of writing to Cassie Weaver at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Final entries must be submitted for each school by Friday, February 14, 2020.
- The MAAP rubric will be used as a guideline to score the final pieces of work.
- Please include the student’s name, grade, category, and teacher’s name on the writing piece.
- A Writing Celebration for all district winners will be held on March 27, 2020 in the RCSD Board Room. These students will be recognized by Dr. Townsend for their accomplishments. Invitations will be e-mailed to you.