*Application Window: January to mid-March each year.
The Rankin County School District’s Pre-K Program is a Title I funded, free full-day program serving four-year-old children. All students must live with their parents/legal guardians within the boundaries of our district and meet all requirements for attendance in the Rankin County School District. Our students will participate in a variety of activities designed to stimulate social, emotional, physical, and cognitive growth through planned learning experiences. Each Pre-K school site will accept up to 20 students per site. Our Pre-K program is limited to serving no more than 100 students (5 site locations) per school year.
- McLaurin Elementary School
- Pelahatchie Elementary School
- Pisgah Elementary School
- Puckett Elementary School
- Richland Elementary School
- Child must be 4 years old on or before September 1.
- Child and family must live in the School Zone.
- Child must be completely potty trained upon submission of application.
- Each child will be given a universal early learning screener to assess basic foundational skill knowledge.
- Submitting an application does not guarantee acceptance into a Pre-K classroom.
- A student waiting list is maintained for those who are not a part of the original class make-up.
Items needed for a completed Pre-Kindergarten application packet
- The child’s State Certified Birth Certificate
- The child’s Certificate of Immunization Compliance Form 121 https://msdh.ms.gov/msdhsite/_static/14,8569,71.html
- Group I Proof of Residency: Homestead exemption, lease, mortgage, OR property deed with current address on it.
- Group II Proof of Residency: Current utility bill dated within 30 days of application. Acceptable Bill: Electricity, gas, landline telephone, cable TV, satellite TV, and water bill.
- Note: If an item is not provided, the Pre-K application process is considered incomplete and cannot be considered for the Pre-K class in the Rankin County School District.
The Rankin County School District’s Pre-K Program does not discriminate in its program on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, disability, sex, age or genetics.
Step One: The Director of Pre-K gathers all submitted applications from each school site (McLaurin Elementary, Pelahatchie Elementary, Pisgah Elementary, Puckett Elementary, and Richland Elementary School).
Step Two: Each application is assigned a number which allows all names and addresses to be omitted.
Step Three: The Pre-K Selection Committee consists of elementary curriculum specialists, an elementary principal, and an EL (English Language Learner) teacher. They receive a printout that does not contain the name or address of any child. The printout contains a corresponding number that correlates to each individual submitted application. The Pre-K Selection Committee is tasked to randomly select children while ensuring each classroom is balanced. From this selection a class roll is developed, as well as the waitlist for each school.
Step Four: Parents are notified via the U.S. Postal Service, using only the physical mailing address indicated on the application submitted of either their child’s acceptance and/or waitlist for the Pre-K program in the Rankin County School District. Notifications letters are not mailed to Post Office boxes.