Early Learning Collaborative
The Rankin County School District in collaboration with Friends of Children of Mississippi, Inc. (McCall Head Start Center, New Hope Head Start Center, and St. James Head Start Center), has been awarded the State funded Early Learning Collaborative Council Cohort IV Grant from the Mississippi Department of Education. This opportunity will afford early learners in Rankin County with access to a full-day of instruction that is directly correlated to the Mississippi Early Learning Standards for Classrooms Serving Four-Year-Old Children.
- Effective school year 2022-2023: The new Pre-K school sites will be at Flowood Elementary, Highland Bluff Elementary, Northshore Elementary, Northwest Rankin Elementary, Oakdale Elementary, Rouse Elementary, and Steen’s Creek Elementary School.
- If you or someone you know has a child who will be 4 years of age on or before September 1, 2022 and live in one of the school zones listed above; they may qualify for the Pre- Kindergarten Program offered by the Rankin County School District. Limited space is available! Submitting an application does not guarantee acceptance into a Pre-K classroom. Applications are kept on file for review if and when a spot may become available.
- Applications will be available at these schools (Flowood Elementary, Highland Bluff Elementary, Northshore Elementary, Northwest Rankin Elementary, Oakdale Elementary, Rouse Elementary, and Steen’s Creek Elementary School) starting on February 2, 2022 and are due back to the school site by March 2, 2022.
- Parents are notified via the U.S. Postal Service, using only the physical mailing address indicated on the application submitted of either their child’s acceptance and/or waitlist for the Pre-K program in the Rankin County School District. Notifications letters are not mailed to Post Office boxes. Letters will be mailed to parents/guardians by May 26, 2022.
- For any other additional information and/or questions, please contact the Director of Pre-Kindergarten for the Rankin County School District (Dr. Pam Reed-Simon at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 601-825-5590).
- Child must be 4 years old on or before September 1.
- Child and family must live in the School Zone. Required residency documents must be submitted, as well as immunization records. However, as an employee of RCSD, student transfers are permissible.
- Child must be completely potty trained upon submission of a completed application.
- Each child will be given a universal early learning screener to assess basic foundational skill knowledge.
- Submitting an application does not guarantee acceptance into a Pre-K classroom. Applications are kept on file for review if and when a spot may become available.
- State Certified Birth Certificate (MUST BE THE ORIGINAL)
- Certificate of Immunization Compliance Form 121 (Mississippi)
- Child’s Social Security Card (Optional)
- Group I: Proof of Residency: Filed Homestead exemption, mortgage documents or property deed with current address on it, apartment, or home lease/rental agreement.
- Group II: Proof of Residency: Current utility bill dated within 30 days of enrollment.
- Acceptable Bills: Electricity, gas, landline telephone, cable/satellite television programming, water bill, Internet.
- Note: A driver’s license or voter identification are not are not acceptable. If an item is not provided, the Pre-K application process is considered incomplete and cannot be considered for the Pre-K class in the Rankin County School District.